Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Living in the World of Yesterday

We have now been here for five months, if you can believe it. We can’t, the time has passed pretty quickly for us. We are settled into our house, into school, and sports. I can’t say that the boys are completely happy to be here now, but they are definitely adjusting. It helps that they leave for school at 7:30 and don’t return until after 4 PM. That leaves little time for brooding and complaining. School is a good thing.

The Aquabats are on TV right now. Noah has discovered a new kids TV show on Nickelodeon, it’s very weird, there are puppets, animation, guys in costumes, kids, and today the Aquabats. It’s pretty strange, I have no idea what it’s called, but it is definitely odd. I kind of like it.

I am enjoying having someone here to help with the cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc. We hired a very nice lady named Celsa, she worked for a family that just returned to the United States. She was a nun, a preschool teacher, and a nurse. We really like her, she is taking very good care of us. Just so you are all very jealous, it is 10:30 in the morning, and my laundry is all done, the bathrooms are all clean, the beds are made, and I haven’t done any of it. Later, I won’t be cooking dinner, ironing any of the clothes, or sweeping the floors. Plus, I never realized how nice it is to sleep on ironed sheets. I am going to miss her when we return to the United States.

We still do not have the latest Harry Potter movie showing here. We really want to see it. It is amazing how far away we are. A lot of the kids at school went to Argentina or Brazil to see the movie. I keep hoping it will open here, or we are going to break down and buy a pirated copy off the guys on the street. I really don’t want to contribute to the intellectual property and counterfeit problems that are here, but I am just about at the end of my patience. Every Friday I go to the mall by our house to see if the movie is there, but it’s been more than a month and still no Harry Potter. We are going to have to be like the local wealthy families (without the wealth) and go to Argentina or Brazil to see the movie. It is funny, but there are families that drive once a month to Argentina to buy groceries, especially dish soap and laundry detergent. For some reason the dish soap here is bad, it barely has suds, and most of them smell really bad. I bought a bottle and smelled an old, moldy sponge smell, and I kept getting new sponges, and bleaching the dish cloths, and it turns out, that’s just how the dish soap smelled. So when Kevin went to Buenos Aires last week, I sent him with a list. He brought back nearly 40 pounds of groceries. There are things that we just can’t get here, besides Harry Potter and dish soap. We can’t get good toys (we can, but they are very expensive, a Barbie is almost $30), maple syrup, chocolate chips, Pepsi products, marshmallows, chili, peanut butter, enchilada sauce, Doritos, canned soup, or Pop Tarts. Some of those I expected and knew about, but the canned soup and chocolate chips really threw me off. I have noticed that there aren’t a lot of convenience food products here. Not a lot of cake mix, or any box mixes, canned goods, virtually no microwave products, except popcorn, no concentrated frozen juice, in fact the frozen section of the grocery store is very small. It has been weird, but probably a lot better for us to eat food that is fresh and not boxed, canned, or frozen.

No comments: