Sunday, April 29, 2007

Happy Birthday to Chris!

Yesterday was Christopher's birthday. We went over to our friends' apartment to bake Chris a birthday cake. Bakery cakes here are weird, they taste pretty good, but a lot of them are frosted with dulce de leche, and they are much too sweet. Chris asked if I could try to make a Grandma Anderson chocolate cake, so I gave it a good try. First of all, there is no Crisco here, or anything else that is like vegetable shortening. And the lard is smelly. Much smellier than at home. Plus it's lard. So I tried butter. I think that this cake is kind of temperamental anyway, and I was very worried that we were going to be eating large, flat, chocolate disks. The cake was kind of flat, but turned out pretty good. What do you think?

Chris got a guitar, a 20 Questions game, some gum (we found Bubble Tape in the American aisle of the supermarket), and a jar of peanut butter. I think that he had a good day.

On a more serious side Kevin and I now have a teenager. Yikes! We now get to deal with teenage boys for the next seventeen years.

No comments: